This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Hooppells Torr is located in the coastal village of Kingston, 4 miles to the south of the market town of Modbury and close to the coast. The house was built in 18th century and while we aim to meet the needs of all our guests, its location and layout make access difficult for visitors with severe mobility limitations. We try to make our house as accessible as we can and welcome any enquiries from guests with disabilities so we can discuss their needs. All reasonable attempts will be made to meet these.
The house is on two levels, with the main entrance on the ground floor via a set of outdoor steps. Our two guest rooms are located on the first floor, access to which is via a flight of stairs. Breakfast is served around a communal dining room table. Dietary requirements are catered for, subject to sufficient notice. People allergic to animals should be aware that there are family pets on the premises and neighbouring land. There are no phones in the rooms but mobile phone coverage is adequate for most networks.
Our home is non-smoking throughout. Smoking outside is only permitted away from the building so that smoke does not drift into open windows.
We're sorry, but Hooppells Torr is not suitable for babies and children under 14. We are also unable to accept pets. If you have any specific questions please feel free to call us and we will endeavour to help.
• For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the directions on our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using a journey planning website. Simply enter your postcode and ours, which is TQ7 4HA, to get directions.
• There is no public transport direct to Kingston, bar a single bus service on a Friday. The nearest mainline railway station is Totnes which is 16 miles away. Taxis are available at the station. If you require an accessible taxi this can be booked in advance.
• The property is located off the B3392 down a single track lane. Access to the centre of Kingston village on foot is by unlit roads and is a 0.6 mile walk away.
Car Parking and Arrival
• There are 2 parking space approximately 20 metres from the main entrance.
• The property has a concrete driveway with steps leading to the main entrance.
• Assistance can be given with luggage.
• The main entrance is reached from a paved driveway which goes onto a paved terrace via five steps.
• The main door leads to a large kitchen area. There is also a separate guest entrance, next to the kitchen, from which guests can freely enter and leave. The separate entrance contains a hallway. Guests are then taken up a staircase into their bedroom.
• The doorways for each room are situated at the top of one flight of wooden stairs.
• Pondicherry is bright and lit with overhead and/or spotlights and bedside lamps.
• Hydrangea has a small south-facing window and a large north-facing window. It is lit with both overhead and bedside lamps. Access is via one step.
• Both our bedrooms have a good colour contrast between the wooden floor, walls and doors, and our bedding is pure goose and duck down. Please advise us in advance if you have any bedding allergies.
• Fire alarms are audible only.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms & Toilets (Ensuite)
• Pondicherry has an en-suite shower room. The shower cubicle is accessed by one step and has a non slip shower tray.
• Hydrangea has a larger en-suite bathroom, accessed by one step. It has a freestanding bath.
• The bathrooms are well lit with overhead/wall lights.
Public Areas – Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
• All public areas, halls, stairs, landing, are well lit using a combination of ceiling and wall lights.
• After dark the hallways and stairs are lit with wall lights.
• There is a continuous flight of steps to the first floor.
• The indoor heated swimming pool (available April-October) has water approximately 1.3m in depth and is accessed by underwater steps.
• Access to pool area via pantry door.
• The conservatory is situated on the ground floor and accessed via the stairs from the first floor.
• Lighting is natural daylight and light levels are controlled by wall switches, with overhead and wall lighting.
• Wooden flooring is used throughout.
• We are able to cater for varying dietary requirements. People with nut allergies should be aware that we do use nuts in the kitchen. Please advise us when making a booking.
• Breakfast and afternoon tea are served to guests at a large communal table.
• We have 6 acres of land which guests are free to explore but not all the terrain is easy walking and sometimes is uneven, wet and boggy underfoot, so suitable footwear is essential. The immediate areas around the rooms are all easy walking on the tarmacked/paved driveway, paved terraces or footpaths although some areas do have one or more steps.
• The garden can be accessed from the separate, guests only entrance.
• There are chairs available outside the property.
• The nearest General Hospital and A&E unit is 17 miles away in Plymouth.
• The nearest doctor’s surgery is 4 miles away in Modbury.
• There is a pharmacy 4 miles away in Modbury open 6 days a week.
• Free WiFi is available at Hooppells Torr.